Monday, February 25, 2013

As I was reading the fiction packets, I found it very hard to completely pick one that was my favorite of them all. There are many that I have not talked about yet though.  There is one, "But What Was Her Name?" that I found intriguing. It was short and simple, and very descriptive. It gave quick images and short images. The way it was written, it almost shows how fast her life went by, and how short her life may have really been.

Another story was "Wallet." As I read the story the first time, I didn't realize that the old man was trying to play a trick on a scoundrel rather than just leave without realizing his wallet was really gone. He uses the idea of getting pickpocketers to understand that he knows they are trying to take his money right from under his nose, but plants a decoy wallet and acts as though he has just commited a crime and drives away from the scene as fast as he could. I also see this as a way for him and his son to have a little bit of bonding time as they make they're way to and from the area where the decoy wallet was planted. In a way, this story gives you a sense of what was going on inside the mind of the author and how many times this may have happened to him in the past.

In the story "My Own Posture," he wrote aout how he wanted someone to tell him what his posture meant and why. The most he got was that he was standing all wrong. As Kagen adjusted the way he was standing, he told him the only 'notebook' that he needed was his own posture, without good posture, you don't have good balance, or a sense of who you are.

As I was reading "Polaroids," I found it very interesting how this was compared from a developing picture, to how a story was formed. It was almost dead on. While a picture is developing, it really does show the facial features of the people within the picture first as the background of the picture begins to appear later on. I thought it was interesting how they were able to capture that idea within a story, to describe exactly how a story is put into place at first. You must create your characters (their personalites, problems, etc...) and then put them in place into a story that revolves around the characteristics they received in their description.

No comments:

Post a Comment