Monday, March 25, 2013

Maps To Anywhere

As I was reading "Maps to Anywhere," I found it interesting how Bernard Cooper had many different sebsections within his writing. The way he wrote the book, made it feel as though there was more than just words printed upon the page. He used many different ways to create imagery. He describes how his name was unusual compared to the everyday names that are found printed on keychains when you go to the markets. As I read the book, I could feel the exact same feelings that he was experiencing at that very moment. I was able to relate to him because it's always been and still is hard to find my name on many items when it comes to that sort of stuff. I loved the way he described his relationship with his father's office, and the way you could almost picture what he was converying exactly. It made me feel as though I was in the room with him and we were looking right at it. Another point in the book, was when he was describing his father at 81 years old, just after an operation. He shows that although his father is old and weak at the moment, he still has a sense of humor and also still has the ability to show his feelings.

Other things I liked about the book was how he jumped back and forth between the subsections. He made it clear that there didn't have to be a certain way on how to write your stories. I liked the chapter Atlantis because he had an impecable way of describing Nick the Barber. He was able to give an image so simple, that I would have had a hard time describing myself. He describes the balconies of a house or of buildings and how many were gorgeous, but one was not so much. He uses a vivid sense of imagery to help you imagine the minor details and how it seemed to be more than just a balcony.

In the Wind Did It, I liked how he jumped back and forth between the memories he's had with his father. I liked how he remembers when he didn't see him that often because of a marraige or when they spent everyday together. It made me realize that I sort of have that same sort of relationship with my father, but without the other marraige. I have a great relationship with my father but I don't see him often.

Overall, I like the way I can relate to many of his stories and memories as I'm reading through them. I feel as though I can connect with Bernard on a deeper level than I could with any other writer that I have read before, but then again, I haven't really read many of the stories that come from their past. I liked the first half of the book and so far I like the second half.

1 comment: