Monday, April 1, 2013

As I read D'Agata's portion inside Essay Packet 1, I found it interesting how the idea of real life was incorporated into the essays. Real factual events were brought up into the essay giving it the tone that was being portrayed to start out with. Broken sentences were used throughout the essay, and I thought it was interesting how even though they were fragmented, they still came together to make the essay make complete sense and still bring out what was meant to be said. For example in "Notes Toward the Making of A Human Being," this was how it was mentioned, "after which the student body then returned with its vote overwhelmingly in favor of A.'s request to keep a gun in his room...hard bodies...which in turn has resulted in an equally large gush of self-congratulatory writing..." just intrigued me on how the idea could be continued and there not have to be complete sentences to capture that image. I liked how at the end, there was a list of "Things To Do," and the fact that there was 93 things to do on that list.

In Dillard's essay's, I liked how she made it sound as though she was living in that moment in time that her essay's were being written, and how easy she makes it look to write such amazing stories. She used such vivid descriptions about her adventures, it was almost unbelievable. I liked how I was able to picture myself looking at the blue sky as she talked about it and I also liked how I was able to feel the grass beneath my feet without actually being there to experience it myself.Overall, I liked Essay Packet 1 because it gave me a broader sense of what these essay's actually need to contain to look and sound like an essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment